
The current oil price crunch is taking it's toll on the world, not just the United States. In fact, what I haven't heard mentioned much, but I believe is true, is that of all the nations of the world, the United States is the one most likely to take the rise in fuel prices in stride and keep moving forward. It is nations with less freedom and entrepreneurship and less overall wealth who would feel the pain the most. And so it is, places like China, and Europe are feeling the pain more acutely than we are.
This week there were demonstrations in the UK against the government over the price of Gas. (what does it say about Western thinking that we first think of government for our solutions? that is a different post...).
Reading about this, I came across the following quotes from the British PM:
"It is now understood that a global shock on this scale requires global solutions," Brown wrote in The Guardian newspaper.
"However much we might wish otherwise, there is no easy answer to the global oil problem without a comprehensive international strategy," Brown said, adding that the problem should be made a "top priority" at the EU summit next month and the gathering of G8 leaders in July.
"The way we confront these issues will define our era," he said.
I couldn't agree more that the way we confront these issues will define our error. Here is my concern. National sovereignty is a protection of human freedoms and human rights. It might seem to many that a global governance has advantages. But I would point to history and show just how rare it is that people are governed in a way that leads to the freedom of the individual. What we have in America is unique in history in many ways. "Global" financial solutions require global control of nations at some level. I would not want to give the control asked for to any governing body.
I have at least a dozen reasons why I am concerned about any suggestions of global governance --but I don't want to take the time to list them. It is at this point I would offer conclusions and satire to make my points (of the blessed efficiency of humor!). But, in an effort to be patient and heard, and to be a loving listener, I will stop here with a question or two.
> Since local solutions lead to great political division in our nation, what is to prevent the same happening on a global scale?
> Since the polity of energy is hotly debated by economists, environmentalists, geologists, etc, who gets to decide on a global policy, and how do we choose these people and how can we be sure they are doing what is best for all people?
> Since mankind shows a great tendency to use all political power and economic power to self-advantage, what is to keep global governance for "energy well-being of the nations" from becoming the same vehicle by which ambitious leaders dictate their wills on all of us?
> How does the inherently evil nature of man effect the process?
> Do we as Americans who are governed by a Constitution want to set any part of that aside to be governed, even partially, by people from another nation?
> Realizing that the US is the richest nation on the earth, will not other nations see us as a resource to be depleted instead of a country whose people are to be respected?
I stop here.
God bless all your thoughts.

No comments:
Post a Comment